Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Planes, Trains, Automobiles, and a Trampoline.

Two planes (one boarded twice due to delay and no working a/c), four trains (one boarded and stopped halfway through the journey due to a trampoline on the tracks - it was a very "blowy" day said the conductor), two cars, and nearly 23 hours of travel time and finally I've made it back to one of my favorite places visited with GPS 23 years ago, Llandudno, Wales.  The journey from London to Llandudno was the only part of the trip that worried me when planning - there were a lot of details to plan. From the airport I needed to get to Euston Station in London (an hour away) which called for either two trains, a very long Uber ride, or a combination. I allowed three hours for this transfer and barely made it due to an hour and half line through customs. Once on the train from Euston I thought it would now be an easy journey - until the trampoline. I had two train transfers after the trampoline train and missed the first due to the delay. Fortunately the rail system has a a great website which allowed me to check the schedules. I had a quick three minute window to catch another train, but that meant running with my luggage from platform 3 to platform 9, up two flights of stairs, over the tracks, and down again. I have only a backpack and one carry on suitcase so I made it just as they were about to close the doors. Any additional luggage could have caused me to spend the night in that town. At the next stop there was time to speak with a ticket agent who confirmed I was in the right place and going in the right direction. After one more train it was just a short walk to the hotel. It's cold, which I don't mind, and windy, which I don't like, but still beautiful. This first leg of my trip lasts for three days at a hotel which I think may be the one I stayed in 23 years ago. A B&B run by a retired couple, he's from the UK, she's from Belgium, with my room overlooking the Irish Sea. Iain, the owner, recommended a great restaurant for dinner with fresh, local ingredients, and home style food, called Home Cookin'. As usual I'm the youngest one at the B&B and everyone wants to know how I found Llandudno, apparently there aren't many Americans visiting here (maybe it's the 23 hour journey?). Regardless, I do love it here and am excited to have some peaceful time before moving on to the larger cities. However, I may be investing in some ear muffs! 

Here are a few photos from my day...

Chester Train Station



View From My Room




Dinner




Llandudno









No comments:

Post a Comment